Monday, January 22, 2007

Welcome back Alvin Williams, my favourite Raptor ever…the Clippers signed Williams to a 10-day contract, the team announced Saturday. Williams, an eight-year NBA veteran who played with Portland and Toronto, has averaged 9.1 points and 4.1 assists in 458 career regular-season games.

Accountability from an odd source…Sebastian Telfair is not a happy man at all that he’s gone from starter to thirds string at the point guard position…First Delonte West took the starting spot, then Rajon Rondo was given the backup role… “Oh, I’m overly pissed,” Telfair said. But surprisingly not at coach Rivers…“I’m pissed at myself,” he said. “I can’t be pissed at nobody else. Me being on the bench now, I can’t possibly see it having to do with anybody besides myself.”

February 11, 2007…why is this date important? Well, Gilbert Arenas, who since Dec. 17, 2006 has scored 50, 54, 60 and 30 (7 times) has predicted on his website that he will drop 50+ against Portland on this date…

Interesting glimpse into Elton Brand’s life…http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/clippers/2007-01-17-brand-buddy_x.htm

This is just awesome…http://mavswiki.com./index.php?title=Main_Page

And this is just sad and weird all at the same time…http://michaeljordansmistress.blogspot.com/

Trade Rumour: Bulls send SF Luol Deng and PF P.J. Brown'(and his expiring contract) to the Grizzlies for C Pau Gasol…

In the wake of the Broncos' Darrent Williams' murder in Denver the NBA ordered its security forces in all 29 cities to come up with a list of clubs and other night spots that should be made off-limits to players. Once the clubs are identified, with the help of local law enforcement, the league will send a directive to teams mandating that players avoid those spots or be subject to a substantial fine…

Quick football note: how remarkable was the Colts win over New England? Well, New England entered the game having never lost when it lead at halftime in the playoffs (15-0). Brady was 9-0 himself in that situation, and 62-2 in all games when he had a halftime cushion to protect….

Reason number #4857 that we need to send some NBA history books to Lithuania right now…Sarunas Jasikevicius asked for No. 13 once he got to Golden State…Strangely it wasn't available…"I totally forgot that was (Wilt) Chamberlain's number" which has been retired by the Warriors, Jasikevicius said. "They told me, 'Yeah, can't do that, buddy.'”

1) Marty Burns of SI.com with a great interview with Scott Skiles:

In his own words: Scott Skiles

The Bulls' outspoken coach provides the last word on Chicago's prohibition on headbands and its meaning in the larger world, his refusal to invent excuses for anyone and the unexpected lesson of Michael Jordan.

On the Bulls' rule against headbands, which led Skiles to briefly bench Ben Wallace in November: "We view ourselves as being ahead of the curve a little bit. It was clear a couple of years ago when we put the rule in that the league was moving in the direction of shorts above the knees, stand at attention at the national anthem, get your hands out of your pockets, all the things that were coming about -- I'll call it 'game decorum.' "And we felt like a couple of things like having your shirt tucked in, things like that, were small symbols of sacrifice that mean, 'I'll go with the group on this one.' Nothing more than that. It's not that we view guys with headbands as bad guys, or not good players or team players.''

On the shrill national reaction to the headband controversy: "I always get labeled old school, but I just got done playing not that long ago. I was in the era when the salaries started going up; I was a beneficiary of that. And I was a beneficiary of what I'm about to say.
"Every team has an unbelievable practice facility now with a swimming pool, a steam room, a Jacuzzi and their own personal trainers who are the strength coaches. They can have massages every day, our masseuses are there every day. We have a chef who makes lunch. We drop our bag off at the airport and we never see it again until it gets in our Ritz-Carlton room. We provide a hotel for the guys to stay in on the day of the game downtown. "I think pro athletes should be treated like that. I don't have a problem with any of that. I was treated like that. "But then we make just two or three small rules and everybody goes, 'What are they doing?' There's a disconnect that we all stop and say, 'What's going on?' What's going on is not much; it's just two or three rules. "These are elite athletes, and just like the elite actors they have a right to the perks that come with that. But then we need to stop for a second and realize, 'Hey, you know, a couple or three rules that are minor, that have to do with the togetherness of the team, it doesn't seem like that big a deal.' ''

On the difficulties of young players trying to earn their next contract: "The way this system is right now, your first contract for these guys is sort of for getting on your feet in the league, and it's the second contract where you really make your money. So we undoubtedly have some typical NBA-type stuff going on, where it doesn't make guys bad guys or anything. Guys are in this business to be professionals and make money and get paid for playing basketball. "We've got [Andres] Nocioni and [Luol] Deng and [Ben] Gordon, and all three are eligible to be up next summer [for new contracts]. We're trying to set a standard here where if we win, we'll take care of guys. If we don't, we won't. We want that to be the important thing, not your individual stats and all that. That can be a tough sell in today's NBA, though.''

On whether the Bulls will try to develop a superstar, or whether they will seek to emulate the Pistons with a balanced team devoid of an MVP-caliber scorer: "It's a good question. I would answer it honestly by saying right now we're open to both. "Would any coach or GM love to be able to pencil 25 points every game into your lineup? Absolutely. You know, the guy who gets all the attention so that maybe some of your other guys can fly under the radar: They don't want the heat and maybe that one guy allows the others to play well.''

On whether Deng could become their leading star: "That could be possibly the hardest thing there is to know in the league today. You've got a young player, you like him or you love him, to whatever the degree that your fondness of him is, and you try to estimate where that's going to go. "We think all of our guys still have an upside. Where it ends up, who knows? Our key players are 25 or under, most of them. Some of them have 11 playoff games under their belt, which is basically just dipping your toe in the water. That's why we've got to get out of that first round at some point. We've got to get in a couple or three six- or seven-game series, and really slug it out with somebody and really see who steps up. I think that's where you really start learning about people: When the heat is really on, what do your young people people do? Then you may see some separation. But it's very difficult to judge. "You just don't know when you're going to get a star. I know for a fact because of talking to people around here, the Bulls didn't know what they were getting when they drafted Michael Jordan. They knew they were getting a good player but they had no concept of that. How could you?''

On his players' participation in offseason tournaments: "Every time somebody does anything in the summer as far as playing [in FIBA tournaments], everybody's like, 'Oh my God, are you going to rest him?' I feel like if you're trying to give people an easy way out, they're going to take it. Then guys will start questioning it and one guy will say, `Yeah I'm really tired,' and then another guy will say it.
"I respect those guys who represented our country and played over there. But I saw the schedule. The travel is grueling and I hate to travel -- I'm in a bad job for that -- but the guys were home in time. Our guys had three weeks off [before training camp], Kirk [Hinrich] and Nocioni. I don't know how much time you have to have off.''

On whether limitations on training camp have hurt the NBA product: "I know there are a couple of coaches in the league I talk to who think that a lack of conditioning is one of the reasons for the poor starts of teams. I can't speak to that myself, because our guys work. We believe in practicing and our guys do extra work -- they're in the pool, they're on the bikes. But I do know that's one school of thought.''

On his close relationship with GM John Paxson: "They talk about coaches being a 'players' coach,' which is an overused term. But John is a 'coach's GM,' if there is such a thing. And not just for me, because I'm not going to be here forever and somebody else will be here at some point. "It would be hard for me to imagine somebody -- no matter what your style is -- not liking to work with John. He knows the game, he played the game. When he talks to you about the game, he sees what went on out there. There are some guys who just don't. But he's into it. Obviously his situation is unique because of his loyalty to the Bulls -- this is not a guy who is just doing it for the money and when he's done here he'll go be a GM someplace else. And on top of it, philosophically we look at the game so much alike. We don't really have any disagreements, nothing major anyway, so it's good.''
2) Anonymous scouts comments on some current NCAA players:

On Aaron Gray, Pittsburgh senior center: "I know a lot of people don't like him, but I do. People don't give him credit for his skills. He's not athletic, but he's really big. He's a legitimate five."

On the Pittsburgh players outside of Gray: "I don't see any definite pros there. Maybe Sam Young in a couple of years, maybe Tyrell Biggs. Maybe [Levance] Fields, though he has to address his body. I talked to a coach who played them, and he said they're really good but they just don't have that one perimeter guy that puts the fear of God into you."

On Hasheem Thabeet, UConn freshman center: "I don't think he can play. I think he's a stiff. He's obviously very long, but he's not a great runner. He doesn't have a high motor at all. It's a given he wouldn't have the technical stuff down, but watch him, he doesn't run gracefully and he doesn't have a lot of energy out there."

On Ivan Radenovic, Arizona senior forward: "Let me tell you something, he's a pretty good basketball player. Everybody's looking at the other kids on that team, but this guy is versatile, he shoots it, he has some toughness inside. I like him a lot more on that team than Marcus Williams, who's on everybody's list but I think he's soft and a little mechanical."

On Mustafa Shakur, Arizona senior point guard: "His decision making is much better this year, without a doubt. His shot still looks terrible; the mechanics change every time I see him. But he's got nice size, and if he keeps making decisions like he's making, he's definitely a draftable guy."

On Josh McRoberts, Duke sophomore forward: "He's just a blend player in our league. He's a really good passer, but he doesn't seem to want the responsibility of being the guy at Duke. Maybe he's incapable of it. Maybe he can be Toni Kukoc, but Kukoc could really make shots to stretch the defense. I guess McRoberts could become a good shooter in time, but right now I don't see it."

On Paul Harris, Syracuse freshman guard: "I really loved him in high school, but there's no doubt he's taken a step backward as far as trying to find his niche in that system. He's an NBA combo guard who will be in the league for sure, but unless he improves his jump shot it's going to be a problem."

On Eric Devendorf, Syracuse sophomore guard: "I don't think Devendorf can play in the league. He has a rep for being a good shooter, but he has the ugliest jump shot I've seen in my life. He has sidespin on the ball."

On Terrence Roberts, Syracuse senior forward: "He'll sneak onto somebody's team because he's so long and active, but the kid has no offensive touch whatsoever. He can't finish a sandwich."

On Tyler Hansbrough, North Carolina sophomore forward: "I'm not a big Hansbrough fan. He's an unathletic, fundamentally tough kid who is getting it done on effort and intensity. He plays under the rim. He's not going to be able to do those things as successfully in our league. Somebody's going to take him 15 to 25, but I think his stock will continue to go down."

On Josh Heytvelt, Gonzaga sophomore forward: "He shows you athleticism, he's got versatility. His jump shot is nice. I'd like to see him get down on the block more, but he has shown he has the potential to do that. That's our game."

On Jared Dudley, Boston College senior forward: "He's a three man who can't put the ball down. He has a really good post up game and he's tough. I'd love to coach him in college, but he's not an NBA player. Then again, I said the same thing about Craig Smith, and so far he's proving me wrong."

On Sean Singletary, Virginia junior point guard: "I was disappointed in him the night I saw Virginia play. When the game got into the half-court, he couldn't get by anybody. In the open court, everybody can play in transition, but in the half-court, it was different. That bothered me a little bit."

On Alando Tucker, Wisconsin senior forward: "Tucker definitely has to be rising on people's radar screens. He's a tweener, sure, he doesn't have a true position. Some reporter asked me if he can be another Josh Howard. That's a pretty strong comparison, but Howard wasn't that highly thought of coming out of Wake Forest, so maybe there's something to it."

On Nick Fazekas, Nevada senior forward: "I'm not a big fan of his, but he'll probably play in the NBA because he's long and he can shoot it. But talk about a bad body."

On Julian Wright, Kansas sophomore forward: "Some people think Wright is the truth. I'm OK on him. His shooting scares me, but he is very skilled and very active. The guy I like on that team is Sherron Collins. I tell you what, he's like Quinn Buckner reborn. Stocky, though, makes plays, defends. I was pretty impressed with him."

On Arron Afflalo, UCLA junior guard: "I like Afflalo. He's strong, solid, sort of like a Keith Bogans-type, probably better. He'll play in the league for sure."

On Brandan Wright, North Carolina freshman forward: "He's the best pro on that team without a doubt. He's got great length, he's quick off the floor. He's got to become a better scorer from 12-to-15 feet, and like all these kids he has to get stronger. But he's got all the other attributes you look for. I'd say he's definitely a lottery pick if he comes out."


On Ronald Steele, Alabama junior point guard: "He's a solid player. I think he'll be a good player. The biggest thing with him is, how bad is his injury? Some people say it's a high ankle sprain, some people say he's got tendonitis in his knee. They're not giving out a whole lot of information. He certainly hasn't played anywhere near where he played last year. If that continues, he'll have to come back to school because this is a very deep draft."

On Richard Hendrix, Alabama sophomore forward: "Maybe he's a pro down the road, but not right now. He could end up being like a Chuck Hayes. He's probably a better athlete than Chuck, but Chuck just kind of hung in there and got a shot with Houston and went to the NBDL. A guy like Hendrix might have to go that route because he's undersized."

On Glen Davis, LSU junior forward: "I love him. I think he's going to be special. He'll end up as a really good shooter. You'll be able to run pick-and-pop with him forever. He's going to be like Charles Oakley, but Oakley couldn't pass or dribble like this kid can."

On Chase Budinger, Arizona freshman: "I know a lot of people at Arizona, and I don't think he's coming out. He's good, but he hasn't had a 'wow' year. Shoot, they lost at home to Oregon and he only had four points. Williams is going to leave, Radenovic and Shakur are seniors, so next year Budinger's role will expand. Now, that said, he would still go in the first round, but I'm pretty certain he's going back to school."

On Spencer Hawes, Washington freshman center: "He's really good. He's not the greatest athlete, but he's got tremendous hands and he works really hard. The kid is always moving defensively and offensively. He knows how to play, he's a good passer, he can step off the block. He almost looks ambidextrous with the way he can score around the basket with both hands."

On Brandon Rush, Kansas sophomore forward: "I'm not as big on Rush as some people may be. There's just something about his game I really don't like. I'm worried about his left arm, which was broken when he was young. He's a pretty good athlete, but I'm not sure how good a scorer he can be at our level."

On Wayne Ellington, North Carolina freshman guard: "Every time I've seen him, he just hasn't shot the ball real well. I don't know if he had off nights or what, but I've seen him more than once and he hasn't shot it well yet. He's a very smooth athlete, he can create a shot, but it just hasn't gone in."

On J.R. Reynolds, Virginia senior guard: "He'll have a chance, but I see him as a volume shooter. I'd have a hard time coaching him because he wants to score. He looks to me like he's a two guard in a point guard's body."

On Javaris Crittenton, Georgia Tech freshman point guard: "I want to like him, but I think he's a little selfish. He's definitely a pro because he's got a great body and he's really talented. But he'd make me nervous if he was my point guard. If he plays with other scorers and he's taking shots all the time, that could be a problem. If he could be a Gilbert Arenas-type where he's your point guard but you want him to get you 30, he could do well."

On Thaddeus Young, Georgia Tech freshman forward: "You know, people put him in the same class as Kevin Durant or Greg Oden, but he's definitely not there. When I saw him, I wanted to see Lamar Odom, but I don't see it with Young. He does have upside and will be a good player someday, but right now he can't dribble or pass. He's a first rounder for sure if he comes out, but I don't think he's a difference maker."

On whether there's a chance Oden will return to Ohio State: "There's no way he can go back to school. That's just a smokescreen. He got injured once already. There's just too much money involved with someone like that.

On whether there's a chance Durant will get drafted ahead of Oden: "Not a chance. I'm not drafting small forwards in front of centers. Oden can dominate the game for the next 15 years. Durant is a star, but unless a team already has a young, great center, I don't see it."

"Rodney Stuckey (sophomore guard) at Eastern Washington is a star. He's got a pro body, an unbelievable basketball IQ. He's a great -- not good -- passer. Can really handle. He's an average shooter but he's a 90 percent free-throw shooter, so the stroke is there. He just needs the reps. Remember, Dwyane Wade didn't make threes in college.

"I'll give you a guy nobody other than about 20 NBA scouts knows about: Jahsha Bluntt at Delaware State. I guarantee you he'll be in the league, and if this wasn't an unbelievable draft he'd be a late first rounder. They list him at 6-6, but he's probably 6-4 1/2. He's 215 pounds, he's strong, he's athletic, he can shoot the heck out of the ball. His coach is a John Chaney disciple, so they play a lot of zone and walk it up, so he's averaging 13 or 14 a game. Put him in a track meet, he'd have 24 a game.

"The best under the radar basketball player in America is Jared Jordan. Go see Marist play. He's as good a passer as anybody I've seen in a long time. He's much more athletic than people give him credit for. He just goes where he wants, he knows all about spacing, he changes pace. He's a pure point, and if he's open, the college three is easy for him. He's as good a point guard as there is in college.

"I went to see Nevada play and their point guard, Ramon Sessions, was really good. I asked some other guys and they liked him too. I don't know if that's just the game I saw, but I tell you what, he was really good. He's got nice size, he's a true point guard, he can really pass it. He didn't shoot it much when I saw him, but when he did, he looked pretty good.

"Trey Johnson at Jackson State has a chance. He's a scorer. The question I have is, how big is he really? They have him listed at 6-5, but I don't know if he's 6-5. But he has an NBA body and he can score, so somebody will probably take a chance on him in the second round.

"Rice's Morris Almond is a big-time shooter. Not a great athlete, not a particularly good ballhandler, but he knows how to play. He uses screens and can put the ball in the hole with range. I'd say he's a borderline first-rounder."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home