Friday, January 26, 2007

Congrats to Chris Bosh, All-Star Starter for the first time this year, as the starters were announced yesterday…

Here are some great Gilbert Arenas quotes I found:

About playing in the All-Star game as told to Dan Steinburg of the Washington Post: “I don't think I'll ever actually win MVP at All-Star, 'cause I'm always looking around at who came out that year. You don't know who's going to show up. I'm like, 'That's Jay-Z! Is that Bow Wow?! I don't get to see celebrities during my regular days, so at All-Star, I forget about the game. When I go out there to play, I'm not really doing anything; they may as well sub me out.”

We all remember that Arenas is using his being cut from the US Olympic team this summer as motivation, the coaches of that team being Duke’s Mike Kryzewski as head coach with the Phoenix Suns’ Mike D’Antoni and the Portland Traiblazer’s Nate McMillan…Arenas scored 54 points against the Suns last month and has said his next 50-point game will come against the Trail Blazers on Feb. 11, which prompted Suns coach Mike D'Antoni to say: "I can't wait to see what he does against Duke. He's gonna kill Duke."…Arenas then posted this in his NBA.com blog…”He'd like to see what I'm going to do against Duke…I thought it was funny because if I have the chance to go back to college, I'll give up one NBA season to play against Duke. One college game that's five fouls, right? ... 40-minute game at Duke, they got soft rims I'd probably score 84 or 85. I wouldn't pass the ball. I wouldn't even think about passing it. It would be like a NBA Live or an NBA 2K7 game, you just shoot with one person."


Remember Patrick O'Bryant? He’s the 7 foot centre the Golden State Warriors drafted 9th overall last year after a couple of terrific performances in the NCAA Tournament for Bradley University…well things are not working out so well…right now he’s the only NBA lottery selection playing in the NBDL and is averaging 6.1 points, 6.7 rebounds and 2.1 blocks, while fouling out twice and shooting just 40% from the field…not good for a 7 foot first rounder in the D-League…to that end, his coach is not impressed: `I told him if he goes down to the D-League and isn't a dominant player, there should be red flags all over the place, and he should be the first to notice,'' Nelson said. ``He's not only not dominating, he's not playing very well. He's a long-term project. I really liked him the first week of training camp, but I assumed there would be great progress. He hasn't gotten better one bit. I'd like to go to dinner with him, but I wouldn't like to put him in the game I'm coaching.''

OK this is funny… If you listen to the Thursday night TNT broadcast you inevitably have heard Charles Barkley chiding veteran NBA ref Dick Bavetta for being old (he’s 67) and too slow to get up and down the floor anymore…Barkley, with some prodding from host Ernie Johnson and partner Kenny Smith, even issued a challenge to a foot race with Bavetta, even trash talking a little when he saidthat Bavetta's tombstone will read: “He keeled over while racing the Chuckster."…Now USA Today reports that TNT has proposed that Barkley and Bavetta on Feb. 17, the day before the NBA All-Star Game…this sounds so ridiculous I might actually watch…

On this date in NBA history January 26, 1991…and yes I do remember this, Maxwell being one of the all-time knuckeheads in NBA history…Houston guard Vernon Maxwell became the fifth player in NBA history to score 30 points in a quarter, joining Wilt Chamberlain, David Thompson, George Gervin and Michael Jordan. Maxwell, who finished with 51 points, hit for 30 in the final quarter of the Rockets' 103-97 home win over Cleveland.

Trade Rumour: Nets seriously thinking about trading Vince Carter and Marcus Williams to the Clippers for Shaun Livingston and Corey Maggette? Doesn't this deal benefit the Clips more?

Good reads here:

Chris Ballard of SI.com on the lost art of shot-blocking:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/chris_ballard/01/24/shot.blocking/index.html

Mike Waters for ESPN.com with a story that reminds you of the upteen times you’ve been knocked down playing basketball and how you just get up…well sometimes it doesn’t work that way:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?id=2740441&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab3pos2

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home